Layout

Friday, January 7, 2011

Freeze!

"Great pancakes, Mom!"  Ahhhhhhhh......

Sweet Success. 

Freeze!  Pancakes, that is....waffles too.  Chocolate chip, or buttermilk.  (In my mind I'm humming the Beverly Hillbillies theme...what does that mean exactly?)

I've been trying different pancake recipes in hopes of finding The One. 

I think I've found it.  My son Jack is NOT an eater.  I don't know how this happened.  I live, therefore I eat!  Seriously!  I love food.  My boy, on the other hand....  So when I popped one of my freezer pancakes in the toaster and got the "Great pancakes, Mom!" comment I knew I had hit pay dirt.

I found the recipe on the bag of flour I got from Trader Joe's.  The blue bag.  I no longer have the bag, because I store my flour in airtight containers (we get moths...nasty little creatures lay eggs in my flour).  I think it was called Baker Josef's All-Purpose Flour. 

Anyway - the pancakes were thick and fluffy, not the kind I usually like, or make.  I grew up eating lovely, thin, delicious Swedish pancakes.  Kind of like crepes, but much better.  Since I am experimenting, however, and Swedish pancakes don't toast well, I gave the recipe a shot.  They were awesome.  In fact, the Studmuffin requested that I never make any other pancake recipe again.  Ever.  Never ever again.  Did I mention that he, too, is a picky eater?  I guess THAT'S where the boy got it. 

For the record, deliciousness that first day does not necessarily translate to the pancakes being edible after being frozen and toasted.  At least not for me.....  Huh.

Ahem.  I hear you clearing your throats, wondering when I'm going to get to the goods....the recipe please????  Read on.....

Light n' Fluffy Pancakes

1 1/2 cups flour
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/4 cups milk
1 egg
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Semi sweet chocolate chip morsels, the tiny kind

1)  In a large bowl sift together the dry ingredients.  Make a well in the center and pour in the milk, egg, melted butter and vanilla.  Mix until smooth.

2) Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan.  Scoop about 1/4 cup of batter into pan.  Sprinkle with chocolate morsels before it cooks too much, so they have time to sink into the pancake.  Cook over medium heat until lightly browned on both sides (I have always flipped the pancakes when the bubbles popped and stayed open, but these didn't do that.  Thick dough, I guess).  Serve hot with ample butter.  And maple syrup.  Or fruit and whip cream.  Or PB & J.  (Thank you to KM for the PB & J idea for pancakes!!  Nice change for us sugar freaks at The Devine Kitchen...)   

3) Cook all of the pancakes, even if you don't eat them all.  Let cool.  Place on a cookie sheet, plate, whatever flat thing you have that fits in the freezer.  Place in freezer until frozen, then put frozen pancakes in freezer baggies and label with the date.

4) When you want to serve them, just take it out and pop in the toaster.  They come out warm and toasty, ready for butter.  And maple syrup.  Or fruit and whip cream.  Or PB & J........mmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Recipe Note ~ I tried substituting buttermilk for the milk before settling on the recipe as it is here.  In this recipe, the buttermilk made heavy, heavy pancakes.  Good tasting, but super dense and heavy, incredibly filling.  I like them better with plain old milk.

I hope you enjoy them as much as we do.  It is so AWESOME to know exactly what is in them, no weird ingredients, no corn syrup, no preservatives....sweet.

Enjoy!

Steph

4 comments:

Bella @ If This is Motherhood said...

I have to be the worst cook in the world. I ALWAYS ruin pancakes, especially in the get to school on time morning rush! I have to try these! Thanks!

Stephanie said...

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear how they turn out. I made one for Jack this morning....he devoured it!

Irritable Mother said...

Hey Stephanie - I happen to be the mother of one of the world's greatest pancake lovers. *wink* I will most certainly give these pancakes a try. And probably double the batch so I have some left over to stick in the freezer. (Mr. Pancake Lover is also a bit finicky with breakfast some days - and having these in the freezer would be a good thing.)

Jenn Erickson said...

That recipe sounds fabulous! I love Trader Joes!

I know what you mean about a picky child that descends from Foodie parents. Same thing happened to us...twice!

My husband and I have been trying to make a tradition of making pancakes every Sunday. We double the recipe and freeze half of the pancakes for breakfasts for our girls during the school week.

If you're looking to try any more pancake recipes, we love the "Best Buttermilk Pacakes" from Cook's Illustrated/America's Test Kitchen.

Thank you so much for visiting me on my SITS day! Following back,
Jenn